Monday, April 2, 2018

Family Heirloom


"I cannot believe my little girl is getting married!  I will always remember the day your father and I brought you home from the hospital.  And now twenty-six years later, you are engaged to your prince charming."

"Oh Mom, you don't have to gush."

She was quite content to let her mother gush because she was beyond thrilled and rather taken by happy surprise when he proposed.  They were together since freshman year in college and inseparable.  He was everything she wanted in a partner.  They traveled to England after graduation and on one beautiful British day, he got down on one knee in front of the gates surrounding
Buckingham Palace.  Passersby noted "So sweet" and "Congratulations" after hearing her say yes.

She happily thought that her fiance was in fact her prince charming.  She had a modestly size family and he had a large extended family, so perhaps the wedding could be royal - American style?

She returned to the conversation with her mother.

"Honey, you are my only daughter, my only child.  When your father passed away..." (a tearful sigh of widowed sorrow) "...you were my entire life.  Now you...You'll have a new name, an in-law family, a family of your own, and I...I'll be alone.  I lost my prince charming.  Am I losing you?"

"Mom, you will never lose me.  You are my BFF, my soulmate.  I have a thought.  Is Grandma's wedding gown veil still in the attic?"

"Yes!  Oh your thought!  Oh sweetheart, your father...your grandmother...They would be so honored."

"Mom, I am honored.  The veil is a family heirloom to cherish forever and pass down from generation to generation."

No comments:

Post a Comment