Saturday, March 31, 2018

Belle of the Ball

"Class, class, attention please.  Let's give a warm and sincere Huskies welcome to Jennifer Tripp.  Jennifer is a transfer from her high school in Northern California.

"All the best to you," said Mrs. Jones with a kind smile.

Ring

"Okay everyone, don't forget your assignment for Monday!  Homecoming should not be an all-weekend priority!

"Jennifer, I need to talk to you."

"I need to talk to you" was heard so many times today, that the words somehow became a Huskies motto.  She wasn't in trouble but was being overwhelmed in homework to complete over the weekend in order to catch up as soon as possible, with United States History and Physics being dealt the hardest.

As for her new peers, no one was paying attention to her.  No one was paying attention to their teachers or classes.  Today was Friday and the majority of the student population was looking forward to the Huskies homecoming football game and dance.  The homecoming court was elected, so Jennifer guessed the winners were rather popular.  She understood the excitement, though.  In her previous high school, she looked forward to homecoming...but not an all-consuming interest.  Today was Friday - a thought she maintained to stay positive.  Her family's move across the country did not make her happy.  Change in every way did not make her happy.

Alas, Jennifer's response to every "I need to see you" was,

"Okay."

"So, I am waiving the assignment due next Monday.  I have a thought, though.  Catch up to where we are in the textbook, write an essay, and turn it in next Friday."

"How many chapters should I read?" Jennifer asked as she pulled her heavily filled backpack over her shoulder.

"Oh, of course!  The first three chapters.  In this one instance, your essay can be any length.  And in this one time only, the topic can be of your choosing."

"Okay.  Well, have a good weekend, Mrs. Jones.  I will make this assignment a top priority."

"Smart girl."

Smart indeed.  All of her classes were AP.  Every assignment this weekend was a top priority.

As Jennifer left the classroom (her last one for the day), a fellow classmate met her just out the door.

"Hi Jennifer.  My name is John.  I've seen you in all of my classes.  AP doesn't make life easy."

Jennifer lightly laughed and replied,

"Hi John.  My first day and I don't feel new with all of the homework.  Outside of lunch, I've had eight introductions."

"You're the belle of the ball!"

"Perhaps true, but I'm a belle without a ballgown to match."

"Hey!  I don't have a date to homecoming.  Do you want to come with me?"

"Oh gosh, I have so much work to catch up on.  I'm not familiar with the town yet.  I'm still settling into my new home.  Picking out a gown and getting ready would take up time I don't have.  I'm sorry, but no."

"Oh.  Okay.  Well, welcome to the school.  I really hope we can be friends, even if we are first meeting senior year...Belle."

Jennifer laughed and said,

"I would like to be friends too, John.  One request, though - no longer belle, just Jennifer."

No comments:

Post a Comment