Thursday, May 17, 2018

50th Anniversary - The Key

Due Affiliate Disclosure



In their first year of marriage, wedded bliss was rocky with daily heated arguments, weekly threats for divorce, brutal contest over custody of their newly adopted Golden Retriever puppy, and eventually him often staying with a friend rather than in their newly purchased home.

One week to the day before their first wedding anniversary, she found her wedding gown tucked away in their master bedroom closet.  She wiped away slowing tears and looked to her dress.  She put it on and sorrowfully admired herself in the bedroom's standing mirror.  She remembered how excited she felt when she saw the custom designed gown, how peacefully happy she felt when she put it on, and how perfectly okay she felt when she paid the exceptional price tag cost.  She was a bride then and her supremely positive emotions could not be put into words.  She looked at herself now and devastating emotions could not be put into words...until her husband surprised her.

He spoke lovingly and sincerely.  He wanted a second chance at their marriage.  

She said yes before he could ask.

They renewed their vows to renew their life meant to spend together forever.

On this Saturday, fifty years later, her anniversary gift to him was a letter in words that best described her emotions.


My loving husband,

My life before you was without meaning.  I lived day to day and simply got by.  Exciting moments were understated.  Special moments were understated.  Mundane would be the best word to describe my inner emotions before you.  Content happiness, these two words combined into one emotion, best expresses how I feel now...not the literal now, but where we are now, with our life together in the present and lasting forever.  I promised to you love and honored devotion 'til death do us part.  In our first year of marriage, I feared parting ways.  My life with you has true meaning.  Exciting moments are exciting.  Special moments are special.  Mundane is no longer a descriptive word for me.  On this day, our 50th wedding anniversary, I maintain my promise to love and honor you 'til death do us part.  My vow to you will last always.  I love you.


On this Saturday, fifty years later, his anniversary gift to her was a key.  A key to her heart...a lovely token of his forever feelings for her.  The key, however, was a copy he once made to their house purchased in their first year of marriage.  The key was to their home...where every positively charged emotion, moment and event occurred.  The key to her heart would never, ever break.  The key to their home would never, ever break.


My loving wife,

The key I bestow to you best defines how I feel.  My vow to you will last always.  I love you.


Their 50th anniversary was spent with their grown children and young grandchildren.  The gift from their family was a Golden Retriever puppy.  Their eldest child gave them a stumbled upon framed photo of their wedding ceremony.  Their youngest child gave them a stumbled upon framed photo of their vow renewal.  Their middle child gave them a stumbled upon framed photo of their first Golden Retriever puppy.

On this day...love and devotion were words to describe fifty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment